Monday, July 09, 2012

More about Dvorak Simplified Keyboard Layout


     After using the Dvorak keyboard layout on a regular basis for just more than a year now, I have become well adjusted not only to the new layout, but to switching between Dvorak and QWERTY.  I find Dvorak very simple to use and easy to become fluent with.
Logitech K360 White
(before modification)
     Late last summer, I ordered a Logitech K360 wireless keyboard online. As soon as it arrived, I modified it into a Dvorak layout. It was a rather simple task. Most of the keys could be switched simply by popping them out with a blade and then snapping them into the new spot. On two of the keys (H and J) there are grooves that do not line up the same as all the other keys. The reason behind this is yet unknown to me, but nevertheless, it is easily remedied. Simply by taking a knife blade to the intrusive section of plastic, I was able to make all the pieces fit in their new places. There is no damage to the keys, and aside from the letters having different positions, the keyboard looks exactly the same as before.
     I truly enjoy using this keyboard for all sorts of purposes. When I'm using my MacBook at my desk, I usually have it closed, in a drawer and connected to my 22" Acer monitor. This wireless keyboard, when combined with a wireless mouse, provides me the ability to use my MacBook just as if it were a desktop computer. When I go to work or to computer science lab sessions, sometimes I bring my keyboard with me just to have the familiarity and comfort of my own keyboard (not to mention the hygienic benefits). It conveniently has a slot to keep the nano-sized USB adapter and fits easily in my backpack. I've quickly become accustomed to going into the "Regional and Language Options" in the Windows Control Panel and adding the Dvorak layout as the default input.
     During one of my more recent Windows installations on a project computer, I was pleased to find the option to use an input layout other than QWERTY. I immediately jumped at the opportunity (it had one of those countdown timers) and continued my installation with the use of my very own Dvorak keyboard.
     To someone considering the switch to Dvorak, I would say that it's a fairly seamless transition. Existing computer setups easily accommodate the alternative layout and you can easily convert a QWERTY keyboard into a Dvorak layout. Also, beware that you may get funny looks from anyone who attempts to use your keyboard or even happens to notice your "strange" layout. You may want to prepare a sort of elevator pitch about your keyboard for the sake of saving time and effort explaining your divergent ways to the whole of humankind. My only complaint regarding the integration of the Dvorak keyboard is that iOS devices do not offer this layout as a software input option. Otherwise, I find Dvorak to be a perfectly compatible, easy to learn and more efficient replacement for the classic QWERTY layout.

1 comment:

  1. Wekk yhanks Jay! Yhat was Shaaking@ Maube I'kk syart usinh Dvorak noe. It;; hekp me tupe bettet

    ReplyDelete